David M. Lilenfeld
David M. Lilenfeld is an intellectual property and business lawyer and the founder of Lilenfeld PC in Atlanta. He represents clients in business disputes and intellectual property issues involving trademarks, copyrights, patents and trade secrets.
David is a graduate of Hunter College with a B.A. in philosophy. He earned his J.D. at The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law in 1996 where he was a member of The Ohio State Law Journal.
David has been selected by his peers as one of Georgia Trend's 2012 Legal Elite in Intellectual Property and for inclusion in Super Lawyers 2014 for Intellectual Property Litigation, a recognition reserved for only 5 percent of practicing attorneys. David was also chosen as a Rising Star in 2009 and 2010 by Georgia Super Lawyers, which recognizes the best up-and-coming attorneys in the state. He currently serves as Co-Chair of the Litigation Committee of the Intellectual Property Section of the Georgia Bar and of the Emerging Issues Committee (North America) of the International Trademark Association (INTA). David has previously served as the Chair of the Small Firm Section of the Atlanta Bar Association and the chairperson of the Litigation Committee of the Technology Law section of the State Bar of Georgia.
A trusted resource for the media on intellectual property and business litigation, David has been published in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Atlanta Business Chronicle, IPFrontline.com and other business and legal outlets. See these articles and interviews.
At business meetings and conferences, David speaks on intellectual property law and business litigation. These presentations include:
- Growth Companies: An Introduction to Intellectual Property Protections – An IP Litigator’s Perspective (State Bar of Georgia, September 12, 2014)
- Expanding Role of Copyright in Digital Media (IP Law Institute, Amelia Island - September 2014)
- Judge, INTA's annual Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition, focusing on U.S. trademark and unfair competition law (invited, 2008-2013)
- Intellectual Property Litigation (Georgia Tech MBA Program, January 2013)
- Intellectual Property Overview (Technology Association of Georgia, August 2012)
- Patent Wars (Georgia Tech MBA Program, February 2012)
- Atlanta Bar Association, Cloud Computing 101: Considerations for the Small Firm Lawyer (September 2011)
- Protection of IP for Athletes/Celebs (Entertainment, Sports and IP Conference in Guanacaste, Costa Rica – November 2010)
- Legal Issues of Self-Publishing (Strategic Self-Publishing Conference in Atlanta – November 2010)
- Intellectual Property Section of the State Bar of Georgia regarding pleading requirements under Twombly/Iqbal (March 2010).
- International Intellectual Property Group, Trademark Oppositions and Cancellations in the U.S. (February 2009)
- Young Lawyers Association, Professionalism in Our Profession (webinar, March 2009)
- Intellectual Property Section of the State Bar of Georgia, Standing and Other Pre-Suit Considerations in Copyright and Trademark Disputes (December 2008)
- Entertainment & Sports Law Conference and IP Law Institute, IP Landmines in Advertising, Electronic Media and Video Games (November 2008)
- Entertainment & Sports Law Conference and IP Law Institute, Hot Topics in Counterfeiting (November 2008)
- Intellectual Property Section of the State Bar of Georgia, Monetizing Intellectual Property (June 2008)
- The Patent Toolkit: Tools to Keep on Hand to Protect and Enforce Intellectual Property (June 2008)
- Intellectual Property Section of the State Bar of Georgia, "Fair Use" Defense in Trademark Cases (January 2008)
- National Business Institute Seminar, Introduction to Intellectual Property Issues (December 2007)
- IPE Seminar, E-Discovery: Definitions, Applications and Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Changes (May 2007)
David and his wife, Julie, live in the Buckhead area of Atlanta with their two young sons. In his rare spare time, David plays competitive tennis and chess.
"David has been the voice of reason for me on many occasions. He's very patient and personable and works very well with his clients - even when they're emotional! David is fair and honest and I recommend him without hesitance."
Jeannie Johnston, Firm Manager and Paralegal
Hall, Arbery & Gilligan
"David was on top of things all the time. His dedication and attention to details makes him a magnificent attorney. In addition to all this, he is a nice person to work with."
Raimundo Sala Albert, Key Account and Commercial Director
"I have watched David progress from an associate to having his own firm. He’s intelligent, personable and results-driven."
Cindy Poortinga, Claims Manager
Back to top
Kuniki (“Nick”) Lockett is Of Counsel* with Lilenfeld PC. Nick's practice focuses on a broad range of patent law matters.
Nick obtained his B.S. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Alabama in Huntsville and earned his J.D. from the University of Alabama.
Prior to law school, Nick worked as an engineer at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Time Domain Corporation (TDC), and at the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), which manages military intelligence for the United States Department of Defense. As an intellectual property analyst with TDC, a high-tech startup in Huntsville, Al, Nick helped manage TDC's extensive telecommunications technology patent portfolio. Nick also gained valuable experience as a Patent Examiner with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
After graduating law school, Nick practiced at an international intellectual property law firm in Washington, DC.
In addition to his wealth of law practice experience, Nick has deep expertise in electrical engineering and software development, having written code during his work with NASA, TDC and DIA.
Nick is admitted to practice in Ohio.
*Admitted to practice in Ohio only.
Back to top
Office manager Wendy Howard earned a B.B.A., cum laude, from Georgia State University and has worked in the legal services field for more than 20 years. She oversees the law firm’s operations and provides litigation support. Wendy is married with two young children. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top